While considering a much-needed career move, one important step is deciding where to look. One quickly growing metropolitan area can be found in the northeast of Texas—Dallas. However, you may be asking if the Dallas job market is growing as fast as its population.
Keep reading for a detailed run-through of how relocating to Texas can change your career path.
Is Dallas a Good Place to Find a Job?
As of 2016, the Dallas population reached 1.3 million. Additionally, in the 385.8 square miles that the city covers, the average Dallasite is around 32 years old.From 2018 to 2019, Dallas’s job market grew thanks to an increase in its annual job growth as well as the number of jobs added over the year.
In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics stated that Dallas ranked second out of the 12 largest metropolitan areas in the United States for both annual job growth and jobs added.
In addition, a report prepared by IHS Markit shared that the Dallas-Fort Worth GDP ranked 26th out of over 500 cities worldwide and has been steadily increasing after its short decrease from 2008-2009.
The top 10 industries in Dallas opened new places of business in 2016, in descending order, were:
- Health care and social assistance
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 885
- Accommodations and food services
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 779
- Food services and drinking places
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 757
- Ambulatory health services
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 726
- Restaurants and other eating places
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 611
- Real estate and rental and leasing
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 523
- Real estate
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 467
- Professional, scientific and technical services
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 453
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 404
- Other services (excluding public administration)
- Number of businesses gained in 2016: 330
Fortune 500 in Dallas
As of 2019, there are 24 Fortune 500 companies in Dallas-Fort Worth:
- Exxon Mobil – Rank 2
- McKesson – Rank 7
- AT&T – Rank 9
- Energy Transfer – Rank 59
- American Airlines – Rank 68
- Southwest Airlines – Rank 142
- Fluor – Rank 164
- Kimberly Clark – Rank 171
- Tenet Healthcare – Rank 172
- HollyFrontier – Rank 175
- D.R. Horton – Rank 194
- Texas Instruments – Rank 199
- Jacobs Engineering – Rank 208
- Core-Mark Holding – Rank 250
- JCPenney – Rank 261
- Pioneer Natural REsources – Rank 333
- Vistra Energy – Rank 337
- GameStop – Rank 346
- Yum China Holdings – Rank 362
- Alliance Data Systems – Rank 390
- Dean Foods – Rank 393
- Builders FirstSource – Rank 394
- EnLink Midstream – 396
- Celanese – Rank 426
So, now that you know a bit more about Dallas, are you still wondering if the Dallas job market is a good place to find a new career? Or, perhaps you’re curious what companies you should check out first for current job openings?
If so, keep reading to hear about jobs for award-winning companies that keep Dallas thriving! Not only can you learn information on industry leaders in Dallas, but you can apply to current positions at these companies as well.
Companies With Promising Career Paths in Dallas: By Industry
- Charles Schwab & Co.
- Ryan, LLC
- PrimeLending, A PlainsCapital Company
- The American National Bank of Texas
- Texas Health Resources
- Encompass Health – Home Health and Hospice
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital For Children
- JPS Health Network
- Spring Valley Construction Company
- Hill & Wilkinson General Contractors
- Ridgemont Commercial Construction
- Scott + Reid General Contractors, Inc.
- Power Home Remodeling Group
So, is Dallas a good place to find a job? Yes, it is! The Dallas job market is full of culture and innovation and is constantly expanding. Therefore, you should take advantage of the various jobs to be found in Dallas. In fact, in just a few clicks, you can find jobs with companies from BestCompaniesTexas list of best employers in Dallas!
If you’re feeling like something is missing in your current career, then consider looking at what the Best Companies in Dallas can offer!